Sunday, September 5, 2010

A brief introduction to my life as a thespian

I have been involved in the performing arts, museums, zoos, travel, history, etc., etc., etc. since I was a very young girl.   One of my earliest theatrical memories is standing on the seat in a small theatre on the grounds of the Hillsdale County Fairgrounds watching my dad direct a show for the recently founded Hillsdale Community Theater.    And he whispered to me, "close your ears, he's going to fire a gun."
So, you should know that I have a lot of irrational phobias - guns, fireworks, other loud noises, balloons popping, a bit of vertigo when up on high, the list goes on.
So, why start a blog now?   And why The Accidental Thespian?    I am by choice now, an unemployed actor - shockingly rare occurrence.    I have also decided that since my lengthy association with the performing arts, a journey that has taken me through - a teenage existence in the aforementioned Hillsdale Community Theater - involvement as an actor, director, choreographer and stage manager with the offshoot Hillsdale Community Children's Theater - my two amazing years as an acting, technical theater and creative writing major at Interlochen Arts Academy - my B.A. in Dramatic Arts from The George Washington University - and my involvement in local endeavors such as The St. Mark's Players, Vpstart Crow Productions and, for 16 years, The Maryland Renaissance Festival - well, I'm never going to become known for my performing abilities.
So, I begin a new journey on a quest to form a theatrical foundation so that other worthy companies and artists will.    I'm also turning my energies to writing - I have had several adaptations of well known tales performed at the Maryland Renaissance Festival, but I'd like to expand my horizons to writing books, original plays, etc.     That leads me to why I start blogging now.
I've been writing and posting book reviews and theater reviews on Facebook and I see this as an extension of that.    So, this will mostly be performing arts reviews based on the Washington DC metropolitan area, but I will also write on topics that interest me.
Customer service for one, "touristy" things for another.
So, I am a subscriber to Signature Theater, Arena Stage, Kennedy Center Ballet Series, Kennedy Center Theater Series and the Folger Theater.    The bulk of my reviews will come from those, but who knows?   Let the journey begin.

1 comment:

  1. Huzzah, Di, for this new adventure... I'm excited to see where it takes you!

    Honeysuckle

    ReplyDelete